What Is the Cost to Remove a Popcorn Ceiling?
If you’re thinking how to get rid of popcorn ceiling, you need to comprehend that doing away with a popcorn ceiling is a labor-intensive job, and the fee displays it. According to HomeAdvisor, the common price to put off a popcorn ceiling is between $1 and $2 per rectangular foot. The common owner of a house will pay round $1,780. However, that is the charge you will pay for solely getting rid of the ceiling. Afterwards, you will nonetheless have to pay to have the ceiling both repainted, or textured and repainted, or blanketed in some different way.
Is it more cost-effective to take away popcorn ceilings or cowl them?
On average, it is $876 to $1,730 more cost effective to cowl popcorn ceilings versus having to do away with them. For these with properties constructed earlier than 1990 and dealing with asbestos knockdown ceilings, you can retailer hundreds through overlaying them up. When protecting popcorn asbestos ceilings, keep away from stressful the ceilings as this can also launch unsafe dust. Furthermore, we propose sporting a respirator and eye safety every time dealing with popcorn texture in your house.
How to Save Money on Popcorn Ceiling Removal ?
Some financial savings may also nonetheless be reachable for these who aren’t fascinated in going the DIY route. The following recommendations can assist limit the price of the standard project.
- Remove fixtures from the room(s) earlier than the crew arrives. If the people have to eliminate it, they’ll cost their common hourly fee.
- Have an asbestos take a look at performed in advance. Test kits are reachable from domestic enchancment shops or online, and they begin round $100 for the package and the lab rate to procedure the results.
- Consider portray the ceiling. After the elimination is complete, DIYers can choose to paint the ceiling themselves, which would value $1 to $3 per rectangular foot if a expert painter carried out the work.
Alternatives to Removing Popcorn
If your modern-day substrate is ancient and unable to deal with the scraping, Armstrong Ceilings suggests you should be higher off doing one of the following:
- Beadboard – Nail sheets of beadboard to the ceiling. It’ll supply your ceiling a mild cottage look. $2.50 to $4.20 per rectangular foot (for Armstrong products)
- Metal – Nail or screw in patterned metal tiles, with picks in brass, copper, chrome, white, or lacquered steel. $4 to $9+ per rectangular foot
- Decorative plaster or tin-look tiles - 12" x 12" mineral fiber tiles. “Apply it at once to the ceiling the use of Armstrong's Easy Up set up gadget or adhesive.” $1.00 to $2.50 per rectangular foot
- Wood-look ceiling planks – For a u . s . a . domestic feel. $2.50 to $4.20 per rectangular foot
- Drywall – Cover with new drywall. This will decrease your ceiling by using about 1”, which should decrease your resale fee however can add the gain of insulating your attic better. Some contractors say to use gypsum board as a substitute than popular sheetrock due to the fact it’s lighter. Screw it into the frames and mud and tape earlier than painting.
Factors that Could Raise the Price
Once you have a expert seem to be at your ceiling, you may additionally locate that the fee will be barely higher. There are some elements that will increase the fee to put off a popcorn ceiling.
Once the popcorn ceiling has been removed, you’ll be left with a bare, uncovered ceiling. If the job used to be finished perfectly, then you might also simply want a coat of paint. However, if there are areas that want to be patched or smoothed over, the extra fee will elevate the price. And, when you consider that there is no way of understanding formerly what to count on below the popcorn ceiling, be financially organized for this scenario, simply in case.
The presence of asbestos is the wide variety one component for growing the price to dispose of a popcorn ceiling.
In older properties (especially those prior to 1977), asbestos used to be used commonly. Before your popcorn ceiling can be removed, it will be examined for asbestos. If the exams come lower back positive, assume a greater cost. This charge make bigger can be somewhere from $3 to $7 per rectangular foot.
What Is the Process for Removing a Popcorn Ceiling?
Removing a popcorn ceiling is now not overly complicated, however it does take time and effort. If you are thinking about a DIY project, be organized to deal with the mess involved. Because of all the substances that will be coming down from the ceiling, you will have to both put off all furnishings and different property from the room or cowl them with plastic sheeting. If you have hired a contractor to do the work, transferring the furnishings your self ought to minimize the value of putting off the popcorn ceiling Spray a small region (about 10 rectangular feet) of the popcorn ceiling with heat water. After about 20 minutes, the ceiling is loosened up and can be scraped away. Once you’re done, pass on to the subsequent area. Continue spraying and scraping till you are done.